navbar

19 July 2009

New Work: Show Off


I have been working with pretty strict color palettes lately, a lot of neutrals... guess I just had to break out those saturated hand dyed colors! I also used several colors of thread, quilted to nearly an obsessive-compulsion just because they're so fun to look at.
(detail photo right)

The composition is based on a photo of red-petalled Brown-eyed Susans. I took the photo in my friend Becky's beautiful garden. This group of red and orange petals stood out from a field of regular (yellow) Brown-eyed Susans. I couldn't take my eyes off them; why did they develop these colors? Clearly the yellow ones were surviving just as well. So how did this change happen in their plant genes? Maybe they're just showing off.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love this piece. I had to look twice to make sure it was not a photograph. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed by the administrator of this blog, so please keep the language civil and relevant to the article. Comments containing advertisements, profanity or hate speech will be removed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!